Tuesday, November 1, 2011

day one

Last November I used my posts to express thanks for day to day things that I sometimes take for granted. I loved doing it--opening my eyes each day and realizing how much we have. 
The big things, the little, and the in-between.

so, ah-ah-AHEM. Here we go.
em11 copy
Day one.

I am thankful for dreary afternoons that beg me to bake something.
"Make us some bread!" they shout.
I am thankful that I can make bread because I want to, and it's fun, not because I have to, to survive.
I am thankful I can go to the store (and have a car to take me there!)and purchase flour and butter--whatever I need-- all at my finger tips. 
I am so very thankful I found this recipe.

I am regeretting that I didn't double triple this batch--these are gooooooood and went way too fast.

I am an English Muffin lover (side note: I know I have readers in England.....do you call them English Muffins too?)

Anyway......I really like them, whatever they may be called around the world. I figured they couldn't be that hard to make, and I found this recipe by Alton Brown that I knew I had to try. 
The recipe and text are his--I just substituted butter for shortening (didn't have any), and changed out the white flour for whole wheat and added vital wheat gluten. They were very simple to make, and like I said above I really wish I would have made a bigger batch when I had all the stuff out to do so.
So that is my advice....make 200 of them.
em1 copyem2 copyem3 copyem4 copyem5 copyem6 copyem7 copyem8 copyem9 copyem10 copy
Whole Wheat English Muffins
recipe adapted from Alton Brown
makes 8-10 muffins

Ingredients
1/2 cup non-fat powdered milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup hot water
1 envelope dry yeast
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup warm water
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
1 TBS vital wheat gluten
Non-stick vegetable spray
Special equipment: electric griddle, 3-inch metal rings,

Directions
In a bowl combine the powdered milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, shortening, and hot water, stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Let cool. In a separate bowl combine the yeast and 1/8 teaspoon of sugar in 1/3 cup of warm water and rest until yeast has dissolved. Add this to the dry milk mixture. Add the sifted flour and beat thoroughly with wooden spoon. Cover the bowl and let it rest in a warm spot for 30 minutes.

Preheat the griddle to 300 degrees F.

Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to mixture and beat thoroughly. Place metal rings onto the griddle and coat lightly with vegetable spray. Scoop a little less than 1/3 of a cup into each ring and cover with a pot lid or cookie sheet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and flip rings using tongs. Cover with the lid and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. 
Place on a cooling rack, remove rings and cool. 
enjoy!
em12 copy

What are YOU thankful for today?

24 comments:

brooke kathryn said...

I am thankful that I read this post today. You have inspired me to also use my blog to reflect on all the things I am grateful for this month. Thank you for all your beautiful post and inspiration :)

Brittany said...

beautiful beautiful photos! the lighting is perfect.
and i'm thankful for baking too! just made muffins yesterday and chocolatey carmel apples yum!

Mills (héron + hibou) said...

Lovely post! Such pretty pictures! I believe the English call them crumpets but then it seems like it's not exactly the same texture. I'm thankful for fall weather and for walks to collect leaves with my little boy.

Coco Rose Diaries said...

Yeap....we definitely call that a crumpet! Gorgeous photos! : )

Anna Scandinavian Cottage said...

What a lovely post! I think I'm your newest fan! :) In Ireland they call them English muffins as well as in Denmark and Sweden. We've got a little red house too if you want to drop by my new blog, feel free :)
http://scandinaviancottage.blogspot.com/

Amie said...

I have been wanting to make this recipe for some time now but was always intimidated by it for some reason- and i am an avid bread baker. I think it was the fact i had to griddle them- stepping out of my bread baking comfort zone. But now after your reassuring post i am giving them a whirl! Thanks!

Crumpts are a completely different texture then English Muffins. Hmmmm.

Unknown said...

JUST found your blog last night and A. beautiful pics B. want to make english muffins now C. love the way you write.

Yeah! Glad I found you :)

Anna said...

I love english muffins and haven't tried making them in quite some time. Must do this soon. I am thankful that I now have more time to enjoy each day to do things I need to do and things I want to do.

Hannah Nicole said...

I love your thankfulness posts! My goodness, that looks so good. Is that your apricot jam, as well? I would love to make these, just have to figure out a gluten free fix. But ah! they look so dang good. You've officially made me hungry for homemade english muffins.

gram said...

Sheena I think these are 'crumpets'... we had these once while on a trip to British Columbia.... kind of like mini pancakes...

carlotta cisternas said...

these look so delicious. i love english muffins too...so good. also, i think i may steal your november thankfulness idea, if you don't mind. i'd originally planned to do just one post around thanksgiving...but you know, it'll be good for me to list something i'm thankful for every time i post.

...With Love and Cake said...

We definitely call them English Muffins over here in the UK. There seems to be a bit more love for them in the states than here at the mo, they're rather old fashioned, sort of Victorian afternoon tea sort of thing...I need to rediscover them. Crumpets are bit different, less bready,and not split in half for eating, but cooked in a similar way.

Lula. said...

Oh my YUMMMMMMM! I have to make those. And as always, your photos are so so pretty.

Kimmie said...

I'm definitely thankful to have found your blog as well!! What an inspiration you are to all of us!

While I make homemade bread, homemade tortillas, homemade hoagie buns, buttermilk biscuits, cinnamon rolls, cookies, etc.... I have yet to venture out and make English Muffins. My kids and hubby would be THRILLED if I made these up. Love how resourceful they are with using ordinary canning lids for the shape and you don't need a special pan to bake them in. They are calling me to make them up and I will definitely take your advice and make a double or triple batch. (anything made by Alton Brown is amazing...LOVE his "good eats" recipes).

I am thankful for sunshine, for clean drinking water, for running water, that we can wash our clothes in a washing machine (so we have time to cook yummy things for our family),that we have clean air to breathe, clothes on our backs, nourishing food to eat, healthy kids, kids that still want to snuggle with me on the couch and read a book, true love with my hubby and most of all a home full of an abundance of love!!

I just may to have a month of gratitude on my blog this month as well. What a wonderful way to celebrate the month.

summer said...

could your photos be any more awesome??
..
um, no.

Kathy said...

I am thankful that I have friends and a family :]
Your photos are soooo beautiful! I envy your photography skills! x]

http://thepolaroidpictures.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

Those look fantastic. I've been wanting to make english muffins for such a long time and I've been waiting for a good whole wheat recipe. Thank you! And I know exactly how you feel. I am so thankful to be able to do things like this :)

julia said...

these look absolutely perfect! your life is totally beautiful.

becca said...

wow, they look like real english muffins! good work girl.

Kel said...

When I think about all the baking I do, and all the money I spend on english muffins, it only makes sense that I finally try to make these on my own! You have made this look so simple! Thank you!

Lorraine said...

I was inspired to give thanks also and gave your post a mntion.
http://thevuefromhere.blogspot.com/2011/11/20-days-of-thanksgiving.html

Anonymous said...

Transmission Service Hollywood FL do a complete and thorough diagnosis before any repairs are made and providing you with a complete estimate explanation of all transmissions repairs to be performed. All our work is 100% guaranteed.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandy@ladyandpups said...

Oh my they look so uniformed! So... BEHAVED!! perfect circles!! gorgeous!!!!